John Vasiliou Landscape Design, Ltd. is a design-driven landscape firm, focusing on the upscale residential arena. In producing our signature projects, we specify the finest quality plantings, materials and technologies, and select the best craftsman to create beautiful and highly functional gardens.
Our design is conscientious, our installations are meticulous. We pay special attention to proportion, scale and the contextual relationships between the home’s architecture and the garden, thus producing outdoor space that is meaningful and that enhances the ‘outdoor experience’.
We have produced gardens in the region that range in style from classic to contemporary. Our core philosophy is ‘Creating a Sense of Place’ and we employ creativity and passion to offer projects that are uncompromising in detail and create a wonderful experience for the client.
How We Are Different
A unique characteristic of our firm is the ability to engender a sense of place when creating our gardens. John Vasiliou has studied, lectured and even written his master’s thesis on the topic. Creating gardens that are experiential and that have meaning require a depth that goes beyond the superficial.
John’s roots in the Baltimore-Washington region run deep. A second generation Washingtonian who grew up in NW DC and now resides in the Valley district of northern Baltimore county, there are few local designers that can transliterate the local vernacular better. As the only registered landscape architect and civil engineer, John works on projects of significant complexity specializing in poolscapes with elaborate water features, exploring the limits of the backyard oasis.
John's sources of inspiration include Beatrix Farrand (Dumbarton Oaks) for her ability to organize outdoor space and the paintings of Thomas Cole, for his genius in telling a narrative through artwork. John appreciates the value of well designed architecture and interiors (he is a member of both the AIA, ASLA and ASID) as the catalyst for the successful marriage of home and garden.
- Bachelor's of Science, Civil Engineering, University of Maryland.
- Masters of Landscape Architecture, Morgan State University.
- Office Engineer, Clark Construction Company, Commercial Construction Company, One Year.
- Project Manager, Atlantic Builders Group, Commercial Construction Company, Five Years.
- Salesman/Designer, Garden Gate Landscaping, Three Years.
- Owner, John Vasiliou Landscape Design, Eight Years.
- Project Manager, Kathmandu Properties, Residential Urban Development, Four Years.
- Member, American Institute of Architects.
- Member, American Society of Landscape Architects.
- Member, Landscape Contractors Association.
- Genesis 3 Design Group, (Elite Pool Design & Education Organization).